Feeling like you’re doing everything for everyone else? The boss? Your family? Your friends? Don’t Have Time For Yourself? Well, here are some easy ways to help you!
Take back your life, have time for yourself and start to enjoy life.
Why You Need to Have Time for Yourself
In our busy lives we tend to neglect our well-being. We form unhealthy habits such as comfort eating, regular social drinking and zoning out every evening in front of the TV. We’re unkind to ourselves with judgemental thoughts, speaking to ourselves in such harsh ways you wouldn’t dare speak to a friend. Such as …”Oh you stupid ****!” or “Oh for **** sake what are you doing you idiot?!”
The time has come to start treating yourself with more care. This may feel a little awkward at first as many of us are not used to giving ourselves time and attention. It can also take a little time to break old habits and even notice when we need some self -loving.
It’s easy to realise we need self-care when we’re ill but we deserve it every day…who says we don’t? You? Why? That’s silly…of course you deserve it. You’re on this planet to enjoy life – not struggle through it…yes really…
How to Have Time for Yourself
Even the smallest of attention you can give yourself daily will turn into a fabulous habit that will make you feel great! To make a real difference in retraining your brain , 30 mins a day will break your brain’s habitual routines and thoughts. That may sound a bit too much right now! So simply start with scheduling in 30 mins twice a week… then up it to 3 times..4 times..take it slowly but DO IT..
This isn’t a selfish thing to do – far from it. Developing a daily self-care habit will increase your happiness. It can give you more energy and the patience to deal with the stresses and people in your life. If you can’t come from a happy place how can you be happy with others?
Try for one week to schedule in your diary 30 mins of something you’d enjoy every day…stop doing anything else and put all your attention into you….yes… go on…you can do it…
Try These Easy Ways to Have Time for Yourself
Here are some ideas to get you stated…then after a week see how you feel…I bet you feel better about life in general and will want to keep up the habit…give it a try…you deserve it 🙂
- Go to bed 30 mins earlier and read that book you’ve had sitting on the side for months
- Have a relaxing bubble bath with candles
- Cook a healthy meal with all of your favourite ingredients
- Put on some music you love
- Get out and go to that interesting café you’ve noticed
- Plant something if you have a garden or window box
- Pick up the phone and call that friend you miss
- Start to sort through those old photos and pick the ones that make you smile. Throw away the rest.
- Take a walk in a park during your lunch or after work. Or get out to the countryside – nature is food for the soul
- Buy flowers for yourself
- Set off earlier for work and enjoy the journey – maybe taking a different route
- Stop for a tea or coffee on the way home and enjoy being still
- Eat your lunch away from your desk and the office if possible…focus on your meal and enjoy it
- Spend 30 mins doing a yoga routine at home in the morning or after work – go directly to a class from work so you don’t feel tempted to collapse on the sofa when you get in!
- Write that email to that friend you’ve been meaning to contact for ages
- Turn off your phone for 30 mins ….go on a dare you!
- Plan a ‘date’ with your long term partner
- Go see a film at the cinema – there are cheap days available at some cinemas
- Take yourself on an artists date if you miss seeing art – go to a museum, gallery , exhibition – many are free
- Watch that documentary you’ve had on your wish list – even if no one else wants to!
- Get yourself a pedicure ready for more sun – men too! There’s nothing worse than seeing broken toenails and callused feet in flip-flops. Oh, except socks and sandals 🙂
I’d love to hear if you have any more ideas. Do let me know!
Photo thanks to: Alexas_Fotos