Founder of ‘Innermost Me’, a wearer of many hats; a 50 year old happiness seeker, yoga teacher, costumier, meditation teacher, event manager, cancer survivor , entrepreneur, naturopathic nutrition student, daughter, girlfriend, cousin, niece and friend…(in no particular order)…it’s all ‘me’.. Nicky Rapley
Sometimes life tries to tell us to stop…then it tells us again, and again….but we don’t listen…we push on through…looking outwards to achieve our goals, keep people happy, prove our worth, get appreciation. We work hard and play hard because ‘we deserve to’…ignoring our body and spirit that are there to support, to nourish, to sustain… we take and take without giving back…We take and take until our body finally says – “listen! STOP NOW!”
Cancer diagnosis in 2012 was my final red light. Thankfully I survived thanks to the wonders of modern medicine but I believe that good food, change of attitude and new ways of being have supported my healing process. 8 months of chronic pain led to my being house bound following my final treatment over 3 years and ultimately forced me into being still. I had the luxury of time to take stock of life, to be honest with myself and to choose a more authentic path to meet my true values….(once I’d worked those out!)
That gift of time helped me to reshape my future and with it came my vision to help other like-minded, stressed out, over worked individuals not to get into the mess I did!
For decades, ‘food was fuel’ to me. Cooking was a chore in my house as a child and as I grew up…Combined with a hectic career, I neglected the most important thing we humans need to survive…good, clean nutritious food…which gives the body what it needs and wants to do – keep us in an equilibrium of internal repairing, balancing and creating, every second of every day.
Stress was a major negative factor in my life and partying / clubbing hard as an excuse to escape, because ‘I deserved to’ didn’t help my physical or mental state. Learning how to reconnect with myself and relax using yoga, meditation and even simply how to breathe properly, has helped me begin to change that area in my life for the better.
I now offer holistic, science based , practical guidance and support to other like minded individuals who are realising they have a desire to improve their current state of health;who may be going through emotional / physical life changes; suffering from recurrent health issues or recovering from illness.
My aim is to inspire and empower them to embrace their future in a state of well-being, develop increased self – awareness, energy and joy and gain greater control of their health and general well being; and still have fun!
The name ‘Innermost Me’ reflects these elements that have become fundamental to my belief in living a healthier and happy life:
- Restoration – finding a place to just ‘be’
- Re-connection – listening to my true self & the innate wisdom of my own body
- Awareness – noticing what’s going on around me instead of just trying to reach a destination
- Prevention – having the knowledge to be able to choose what is truly good for me
I’ve set up this blog at the beginning of this adventure, to share simple but highly effective tools for self-support & healthy living; this will be based on my extensive knowledge and practice of nutrition, mindfulness, meditation, yoga and creativity.
I’d love you to join me on this rewarding path, hopping on at wherever you may be right now…
Sign up over there on the right 🙂 and get a free guide to rediscovering your happiness.
Please do feel free to contribute and share your thoughts on my discoveries and on any that you may have yourself.
If you want to know more, here are a few things about me:
- I live in London
- I’m 50 years young.
- I got divorced on my 40th birthday
- I’m now in a long term happy LAT relationship – living apart together – we’re both only children so maybe that’s why it works
- I’ve never wanted children…I make a cool Aunt to my friend’s kids – and that’s enough for me
- I was a Soul Girl, New Romantic, a Futurist and finally settled into being a Goth when I was 17, pretty much into my mid 30’s- complete with dyed red hair much to my mum’s annoyance – sorry mum!
- Now I simply think of myself as an individual with my own style
- I lost my mum to Leukaemia in 1998 – she was only 59 years old
- I’ve had the honour to work with great actors and directors and the disappointment of working with egos
- I love a good Sunday roast at a cosy country pub – especially with an open fire in the winter
- I worked too hard, played too hard, was stressed with life and ate badly for years…and years…I got cancer…but it woke me up to what my body had been trying to tell me for years…thank you Universe!
- I’m on a quest to use my 2nd life to create a fabulous and inspiring business for lost and over worked souls to replenish and reconnect.
- I’m not a great cook but I do make a mean apple crumble (according to my boyfriend).
- Part of the ‘new me’ is to learn new and healthy ways of cooking.
- I drive a beaten up 20 year old VW golf convertible – it’s like a tank and has moss growing on the windows but it always pass its MOT and in the summer with the roof down and music on, I’m in heaven
- My love of travel has fortunately been supported through my previous work within the world of Film & TV Costume and I have visited 32 countries
- I have a fondness for London with its vibrancy and creativity but I also yearn for the countryside where I spent my late teens
Thanks so much for stopping by. I look forward to connecting and sharing my adventures with you…..